Whether you're a beginner or a seasoned, professional musician, I'm here to help you reach your goals, achieve and enjoy music as much as possible. You may want to simply sound good on your instrument, to perform with friends, or to become an expert at any and all aspects of playing, public speaking, and/or performing.
Whatever your goals, I am here to give you the best possible instruction along the way. Music doesn't have to be a mystery - it can be broken down into its simplest components and built upon as you learn. My approach is Whole music learning, which includes music reading, listening, technique, theory & music history.
You can help me to help you, by keeping the following ideas in mind as we work together:
- It takes energy and commitment, just like everything else you do. The necessary time and effort varies a lot
from person to person.
- There are no tricks and no shortcuts. There are certainly techniques, practice methods, theoretical approaches
and big ideas that I can teach you, but students must apply these and put in practice time.
- Great improvement and enjoyment comes from getting a good grasp of just a few fundamental skills. In time, many
techniques will become automatic for you.
- As you advance, I will teach you more complex skills and concepts that can help you to refine your playing/singing
and understanding of music. There are layers of detail to almost every skill set involved in playing/singing.
You can always expect me to be professional, dedicated and supportive. I can teach you in a method that best suits your needs, and I am always prepared to adjust my methods to suit your learning style and current level of musicianship.
I enjoy teaching every age of student. We play most every type of music, and I encourage you to show me what music you love, so that you can learn from that perspective.
As we work together, I will do the following, according to your changing needs:
- Assess and help you modify your form, so you can play more comfortably.
- Show you the basic and advanced skill set you need to enhance your current level of playing and move you
to the next level. This includes all levels of technique and music theory.
- I'll help you understand your instrument and music itself, so that you can eventually play anything you want
to, on your own.
- We will explore which songs/artists motivate you and make you want to play and sing. Some students are highly visual, while others play more by ear. We will address your style and needs as we move forward.
I may at times accompany you, so that you can play with others in a performance setting, which will give you performance
skills that ordinary music instruction cannot convey.
I take every lesson and every student as seriously as the next, and I enjoy working with every type of student.
I can also easily identify with all the frustrations and struggles of learning music, because I have encountered
all of them in over 40 years of performing. Because of that, you can expect me to be patient with you. So, now let's begin!